Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Being Intentional With My Time


The other day I was talking with a friend about how I feel like I never have any time and I don't get to spend the time I do have doing the things I want to do, the things that really count and make me happy.

And just as those words came out of my mouth I realized what a ridiculous statement I had made.

I have 24 hours every day just like everyone else.

I am a single 25 year old woman with no one to take care of or be responsible for (outside of work) than myself.

I get to choose how to spend my time.

So why did I feel this way?

Because I wasn't being intentional with my time.

It's so easy to get caught up in the meetings, the appointments, the this and the that.

To come home exhausted from work, put on sweatpants, plop on the couch and be a bum. 

The daily grind takes its toll. 

But I don't want that for myself.

I want to spend my time making a difference. Doing things that count. Things that make me happy.

And those things don't just happen.

One has to be intentional about making them happen.

So, I'm going to make a few changes.

I'm going to spend less time on Facebook and more time on the phone to let the people I love know I'm thinking about them and see how they are instead of reading it on a computer.

I'm going to spend less time on the couch watching TV and more time at the gym, because something about working up a sweat makes me feel alive and like I can take on the world.

I'm going to spend more time reading and writing because it makes me happy.

And finally, I will continue to volunteer but I'll also spend time exploring if my talents can be used in other places as well.
 
I want to make my time count and for it to be purposeful.

I'm going to start by being intentional.

No comments:

Post a Comment